We Recommend - Picking Lines
May 4 2022
Companies who process waste for recycling and ultimate disposal will regularly operate some variation of a “picking line” as part of their overall reclamation/recycling system.
Picking lines are where waste is fed past operatives on a conveyor belt (or similar). The operatives will “pick” out specified types of material from the waste and place it “bins” for collection and further processing.
Typical materials that are targeted on picking lines are cardboard, paper or plastic containers.
In recent years organisations have replaced the need for operative run picking lines with mechanical sorting methods and machines.
The need for operatives to separate metal waste (such as tins or cans) has been completely replaced throughout the industry by magnetic separation systems.
However, there will still be a requirement for the basic operative run systems as long as there remains some level of complexity, confusion, or variation in the categorisation of waste.
Due to the uncertain nature of what materials operatives will encounter on picking lines there are varying requirements for hand protection in this area:
- Protection from unspecifiable and varying cut, abrasion and puncture risks.
- Product longevity and durability
- Protection/resistance against/to water and other unspecifiable liquids
- Excellent grip on varying materials/surfaces
We’ve designed the Stop'N'Go range to be a one-stop shop for hand protection requirements for the waste industry. We want it to simplify choosing the right protection as well as preventing accidents, injuries and fatalities throughout the waste & recycling sector.
For operatives on picking lines, we would suggest looking at these gloves:
- GO-X D Palm Coated Cut Resistant Handling Gloves – The crinkle latex coating and HPPE liner offer the perfect combination of durable and hard-wearing protection with liquid resistant tactile grip. This glove regularly outlasts other models in workplace trials and offers users a comfortable and dextrous handling option.
- GO-X D Fully Coated Cut Resistant Handling Gloves – Offering cut resistance, excellent grip and dexterity along with entire “round-the-hand" liquid resistance, this glove is the perfect choice in many ways.
- GO-N D Palm Coated Cut Resistant Handling Gloves – This product offers the best durability and protective performance in our range. It provides companies with a latex-free option for their hand protection.
- GO-N D Fully Coated Cut Resistant Handling Gloves – This glove has it all, best durability, resistance to liquids (including low grade oils and chemicals), excellent grip and high-performance protection.
If you want to trial any of these solutions and see for yourself the increase in signal visibility, reduction in accidents, and improvement in protection then fill out our Sample Request Form and we’ll get in touch to set up a workplace trial for you.